Monday, June 20, 2011

Easy Restaurant Style Salsa



I've been huntin' for a perfect restaurant style salsa for years. I cannot begin to tell y'all how many different recipes I have tried. They were good but not perfect.

My husband loves a good salsa. Let's just put it this way, when we eat at the Mexican restaurant, he gets his salsa bowl refilled about 5 times. (no exaggeration)

If an authentic tasting salsa is important to my husband, it is important to me. smile.

I recently found a recipe for Simplified Salsa at Good Cheap Eats. I was drawn to her method of incorporating all the ingredients.



Easy Restaurant Style Salsa

1. Cut your onion in half. (We are only going to use 1/2 of an onion.) Cut 1/2 onion into 1/4's. (just chunk it up)

2. Put it into your food processor and pulse 5 times.

3. Clean your cilantro really well. We are only going to use 1/2 bunch of cilantro. Cut off the stems.

4. Put the leafy part of your cilantro into the food processor.

5. Pulse 5 times.



6. Add 6-8 pickled jalapeno pieces. (comes in a jar) **you can use the real deal..just make sure you wear gloves when handling)



7. Pulse 5 times.

8. Add 28 oz. tomatoes and its juice, the juice of 1/2 lime, and salt.

9. Pulse about 5 times. You can pulse as much as you want. If you like your salsa thin, pulse more.

10. Taste it.

11. Taste it.

12. Taste it. If you want more heat, add a couple more jalapeno slices. Pulse.

13. Taste it. If it needs more salt, add it. Pulse.

14. Taste it. Taste it until it is perfect for you and your family.

15. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours. If you can wait long enough..refrigerate over night. The longer it sits, the more the flavors will blend together.

16. ENJOY!!!

Easy Restaurant Style Salsa
Adapted from Good Cheap Eats

28 oz. of diced tomatoes (not drained)
1/2 Vidalia onion
1/2 bunch cilantro (no stems)
6-8 pickled jalapeno pepper pieces- in a jar (if you like it hot..add more)
Juice of 1/2 lime
Coarse salt (salt to taste)

Cut 1/2 onion into 4ths. Put into food processor. Pulse 5 times. Add cilantro. Pulse 5 times. Add jalapeno. Pulse 5 times. Add tomatoes, lime juice, and salt. Pulse 5 times. You can pulse more or less if needed. Just pulse based on the consistency you prefer. Taste it..you may need to add more salt. **Put salsa in the frig for a couple of hours before serving. If you can wait, leave your salsa in the refrigerator overnight.**

Verdict: My husband told me that I finally had gotten it right. He said "Babe, this salsa is so good, I could drink it."

I did it! I finally did it! I finally HIT the JACKPOT!! (and I don't gamble) smile

Guess what were having for dinner? Tacos, pinto beans, Mexican rice, and salsa? Yes ma'am.

**sorry there is not more pictures but, they just didn't turn out**

Accomplished dishes...Kristi

No comments:

Post a Comment