Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Homemade Chicken Fingers



When boneless skinless chicken breasts are on sale for $1.99 a pound, I stock up. I'll put a couple of packs in the fridge and a couple in the freezer.
I am always huntin' for a new recipe that calls for boneless skinless chicken breasts. A couple of months ago..I came across this MASTERPIECE.

This recipe is from Pioneer Woman. (Ree Drummond) If y'all have never been to her blog/web site, you need to check it out. She has such a fun sense of humor and has a talent for putting her words on paper. She can cook, too!!!!

Thanks Pioneer Woman....Homemade Chicken Fingers

I use my cast iron skillet to fry these fingers. Pour approximately 1 inch of oil into pan. Turn heat to med or med-high. Make sure that oil is hot before you put your chicken in the skillet. To test it, flick a little flour in your skillet and it will sizzle when ready. Be careful. This is hot grease!

Take 3 big chicken breasts. (or you can use chicken tenders) Cover the chicken breasts in saran wrap and use a mallet to thin them out.



Cut your chicken into strips that resemble chicken fingers.



Marinate chicken strips in buttermilk for about 20 minutes. Buttermilk should cover chicken pieces. **TIP**If you dont' have buttermilk, you can use milk and 1 tblsp lemon juice. Let it sit for several minutes. It will thicken up. It works beautifully.



Measure out your flour and put it into a seperate bowl. Add seasoning. I use Lawry's salt. You can use all purpose flour. This time, I used Self Rising and White Whole Wheat.



Pour about 1/2 c buttermilk into flour mixture and stir until flour is incorporated and clumpy.

Take your strips out of the buttermilk and dredge in flour mixture. It will make a mess of your fingers...if your fingers are not a mess...you have not done this step correctly. smile.



Put your floured chicken fingers on a seperate plate so, you are ready to add them to your skillet when needed.

Start adding your chicken fingers to your skillet. (make sure oil is hot enough) It is important not to overcrowd your skillet. Just fry the chicken in batches. I keep my heat on medium while frying.

Keep an eye on your chicken and flip it when it starts to get golden brown. I can't give you a specific time because every chicken fingers will be a different size, thickness and shape. When it turns golden..flip it. Fry the other side...when both sides are a golden brown, they should be done. Make sure you check the temperature of your chicken with a cooking thermometer. It should reach 160 degrees for chicken.



Once chicken is done, take the chicken out the skillet, transfer it to a plate that is covered with paper towels, this will help absorb the excess grease. I sometimes add some extra Lawry's, if needed. (I sample them!)




Homemade Chicken Strips
Recipe courtesy of Pioneer Woman

1 package Chicken Breasts, cut into strips
Buttermilk
1-½ cup Flour (I use Self Rising and Whole Wheat White)
2 teaspoons (to 3 Teaspoons) Lawry's Seasoning Salt (or spices of your choosing)
Vegetable Oil

Start by rinsing and drying your chicken strips. Next, in a bowl submerge the chicken strips in buttermilk for 15 to 20 minutes (or longer if you’d like).

In another bowl combine about 1 ½ cups flour and 2 to 3 teaspoons of Lawry’s Seasoning Salt (or other seasonings if you prefer). Mix this together well. Next, add about ¼ to ½ cup of buttermilk into the flour mixture and stir lightly with a fork as you add it.

Heat about 1 inch of vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-low to medium heat.

Remove a few of the buttermilk-soaked strips and place them in the flour mixture, turning them over to coat them thoroughly. Place them on a plate. Continue coating chicken strips until they are all ready to cook.

When the oil is sufficiently heated, begin cooking the strips a few at a time. When golden and crispy, remove them to a paper towel-lined plate.



**My children LOVE them some Pioneer Woman chicken fingers!**
My oldest son told me "Momma, you need to make these every week."
My youngest son said "Momma, these are the best chicken fingers I have ever had."
My daughter ate 3!!

P.W.'s dishes.....Kristi

6 comments:

  1. I made chickenfingers last night- forgot to use self rising flour, bah, haha ;). But BUTTERMILK! Ooooo...I'll have to try buttermilk. Somewhere I've got a recipe for buttermilk pancakes too, that you'll have to try (I saw your pancakes yesterday :) ). And have you tried the powdered buttermilk? It keeps for something like 6 months in the 'fridge, and it works great! Much, MUCH better than any other powdered milk, believe me (ick).

    ~Andee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andee,

    Yes, please share your pancake recipe!! Buttermilk pancakes are delicious!

    I have never tried powdered buttermilk. I'll have to give it a shot. Where do I buy it? I have tried powdered milk and I will have to agree with you...ick!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will dig it out :) . The powdered buttermilk is with the other powdered milk on the baking aisle at Walmart. Sometimes they run out and it takes a while to get restocked, so if it's not there, do look again ;) . Sometimes I just add a tablespoon or 2 to the recipe if I'm cheating and using Bisquick ;) , and it adds a little something to it :) . Powered milk is better if you can leave it overnight (I keep some for "emergencies" , haha. It's all my mom ever gave me as a kid though, so I can tolerate it better than most :P . It's still not exactly yummy though, heh heh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BUTTERMILK PANCAKES FROM SCRATCH

    Read more about it at www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,184,159180-225197,00.html
    Content Copyright © 2011 Cooks.com - All rights reserved.

    2 c. flour
    2 tsp. baking powder
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1/2 tsp. salt
    4 eggs, well beaten
    2 c. buttermilk
    1/2 c. milk

    Combine dry ingredients. Beat eggs and add buttermilk and milk. Add dry ingredients and mix well. Recipe can also be used for waffles.

    From: http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,184,159180-225197,00.html

    If you go and read the comments, there are some variations people tried that sound good, too :) .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing your recipe. I will try them. I have some buttermilk in the frig. I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unfortunately, my mother gave my brother and I powdered milk too. Now, my brother and I do not care for milk, period. We will drink chocolate milk, but just to drink a glass of white milk is a chore for us. We need to take a Calcium supplement. smile.

    ReplyDelete