Sunday, May 29, 2011

Hershey's Soft & Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies


I asked my husband what dessert he would like me to make for Memorial Day weekend. I was thinking he was gonna say..Banana Pudding or Peanut Butter Pie. No ma'am..he didn't.

He said "Chocolate Chip Cookies."

It was actually perfect timing. (That's how the Lord works, his timing is perfect.) I recently had checked out a book from the library entitled "Best-Loved Cookies" and remembered a chocolate chip cookie recipe that I wanted to try. Thank you Lord!



Do you have a favorite Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe?

Over the years, I have spent many hours in the kitchen trying to find the perfect chocolate chip cookie recipe. How can a chocolate chip cookie recipe vary so much? They seem like a basic cookie...but, don't be fooled. They can be a very complex little cookie. he he he

Some chocolate chip cookie recipes call for shortening, some for butter, some for a combination of both. There are also major differences in the ratio of brown sugar vs. granulated sugar. How about the morsels you use; Hershey, Nestle, semi-sweet, milk chocolate, or even chunks?

So, with all this being said... I found an interesting ingredient in this particular recipe..."corn syrup." This is different. Different can be good!!!

Let's just say...I wasn't disappointed!



Start by softening 2 sticks of butter. (do not use margarine) Make sure you don't melt the butter, just gently soften it. I use my finger to check the butter. If I can put a small indention in the butter..then, it is good to go.



Beat butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar until light and fluffy.



Add corn syrup, egg and vanilla; beat well.



In a separate bowl, stir together flour, baking soda and salt.



Gradually add to the butter mixture. Beating until well blended.



Stir in chocolate chips. This time, I used semi-sweet. I prefer milk chocolate morsels.



Making sure the morsels are distributed throughout.



Drop by rounded teaspoons onto ungreased cookie sheet. I use my little scooper and you know I always use parchment paper for baking. (quick and easy clean up means less dishes)



Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly brown and almost set.



Cool slightly; remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. (look at the right hand corner of the photo...gooey goodness) Keeping it real!



Verdict:
These were the BEST Chocolate Chip Cookies that I have ever eaten. They are soft and tender. They melt in your mouth. After trying MANY different chocolate chip cookie recipes over the years...I have found a keeper!!

My husband gave his approval too. When the first batch finished, he snatched them off the plate..still hot. He stood at the oven and ate 7 cookies.


Hershey's Soft and Chewy Cookies....Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 c butter (no substitutes)
3/4 c brown sugar
1/2 c granulated sugar
1/4 c light corn syrup
1 egg
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/2 c all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 package (10 to 12 oz.)semi-sweet chocolate chips *

Preheat oven to 350.
Beat butter and sugars in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Add corn syrup, egg and vanilla; beat well.
In a medium size bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and salt; gradually add to butter mixture, beating until well blended.
Stir in chocolate chips.
Drop by rounded teaspoons onto ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned and almost set.
Cool slightly. Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack.

*you can use any flavor baking chips*


Best-Loved dishes....Kristi

1 comment:

  1. These are my favorite and I only use this chocolate chip cookie recipe. I found this recipe years ago, and it is definitely a keeper. I've made all kinds of variations with this recipe. Love, love, love it!

    ReplyDelete