Friday, May 27, 2011

Strawberry Milkshakes



Summer is right around the corner. Oh, how I love summer! When I see strawberries...it reminds me of summer.

I recently bought some strawberries. I actually bought several pounds of strawberries. They were on sale for $.99 a pound. Around these parts, you had better stock up at $.99.

With an abundance of strawberries in my frig and the temperature on the rise..it is time for a refreshing treat!

Strawberry milkshakes...packed with fresh strawberries and full of flavor.

Start by rinsing your strawberries. I use my trusty old Tupperware strainer. (I love old Tupperware)



Remove the core from your strawberries.

(side note) I have a Pampered Chef gadget....I think everyone should own. It's called a "Corer and More". It removes stems, seeds, and cores from fruits and veggies. It makes melon balls too. It makes extracting the core from strawberries a cinch. It only takes seconds. I wish I had this gadget years ago.



Cut your strawberries in chunks. Put them in a small bowl. Sprinkle 3 tblsp of sugar over the strawberries.



Pour 1 tblsp of vanilla over the strawberries. Stir.



Let the strawberries rest for 20 minutes. (if you can wait that long)

Put your strawberries and its juice into your mixer.



Put approximately 4 cups of ice cream in your blender. (you can add more ice cream if you want your milkshake thick)

We make our milkshakes a little thinner so the kids can drink them through a straw.
Add 1/4 C to 1/2 C milk to blender. (Start with 1/4 C and add milk as needed)



Blend away!



A refreshing glass of summer's goodness...



My middle son asked.."Momma, can you make me another strawberry milkshake tomorrow?"




Strawberry Milkshakes:
Recipe from Kristi's Dishes

1/2 pound strawberries/ washed and hulled
3 heaping tblsp sugar
1 tblsp vanilla
4 C (or more) vanilla ice cream
1/4 C - 1/2 C milk

Wash strawberries and drain them accordingly. Hull strawberries and place them in a small bowl. Sprinkle sugar over strawberries. Add vanilla. Stir until combined.
Let strawberries rest for about 20 minutes.
Pour strawberries into a blender. Add ice cream and milk.
(Start off with 1/4 C milk first and if needed..add more.)
Blend!

Summery dishes....Kristi


(recipe adapted from Emeril LaGasse)

No comments:

Post a Comment