Friday, May 20, 2011

10 years and Chocolate Toffee Cake





It's time to celebrate! My husband and I have been married for 10 years. How I love and respect my husband. He is a godly man who I admire. He works hard to provide for his family. He is generous and kind. He is wise. He is loyal and trustworthy. I love my husband.

I wanted to make something special for him. I wanted to treat him and I knew exactly what would put a smile on his face. A dessert. Chocolate Toffee Cake.

This cake has sentimental value to us. When we first got married, I made him this cake. This is not the most healthiest desserts. We don't make it often, but when we do, it is meaningful. Do you have meals or special things that y'all eat that bring back pleasant memories?

Isn't God good to bless us with food to nurish or bodies? Isn't God good that he gave us food that we can prepare and share with others? Thank you LORD!

Happy Anniversary Babe! MY LUB U!



Prepare the cake according to the box directions. Check the cake to make sure it is done. Do y'all have one of these "red things?" My mother taught me to use one. You poke the tester into the cake and pull it out. If the stick is clean then the cake is done. If the stick comes out gooey. The cake is still gooey. If you don't have one of these gadgets then you can use a fork. The fork will put several holes in your cake. So, if you are concerned about the presentation of your food. (how pretty it looks) Then you may want to buy a "cake tester."



Now get a wooden spoon and poke holes in your cake. Use the handle portion of the wooden spoon. Make sure you poke holes all over. Make sure you poke holes close to the edges of the pan.





Mix the caramel sauce and the sweetened condensed milk together. Once it is mixed well, pour the caramel mixture over the cake, focusing on getting the creamy goodness in the holes that you created. It will seep into the cake just beautifully.



Let the cake cool for about 20 minutes. During this time, you can crush your candy bars. Speaking of 10 years, my mother gave me this Black and Decker Handy Chopper when my husband and I first got married. I still have it. I still use it and I still keep it in the original box. This is one great tool to have in the kitchen.



Chop up the candy in fairly coarse pieces. You want to make sure the topping has some texture and that you can taste the Heath pieces. The photo did not turn out that good but, I wanted to give you an idea of how big/small I crush my pieces up.



Now, you are on the home stretch. Slather the Cool Whip over the cake. Take your Heath topping and sprinkle it all over the cake. Refrigerate for several hours. If you can make this cake a day in advance, it's even better.

I hope this cake will be a special treat for you too.


Chocolate Toffee Cake
Recipe from Nebraska Nascoe Cookbook

1 chocolate cake mix
1 can Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk
1 jar caramel ice cream topping
8 oz. Cool whip topping
5 Heath bars (crushed)

Prepare cake mix directed. Bake. Remove from oven. Poke hole in cake with end of wooden sppon. Mix caramel sauce and sweetened condensed milk in seperate dish.
Pour it over the cake. Cool cake for 20 minutes. Spread with Cool Whip and top with crushed Heath Bars. Refrigerate.

Dishes for my husband....Kristi

No comments:

Post a Comment