Saturday, May 21, 2011

40 minute hamburger buns




I am encouraging y'all to try and make some buns. This recipes calls for yeast. Please don't stop reading.

You can do it!!!

Let me help you. It is fun and much easier than you think. Once you try this recipe, you won't want to buy store brand hamburger buns again. Instead of bringing baked beans to your family Memorial Day party...everyone will be requesting your homemade hamburger buns.

First, you need to make sure that your water temperature is really warm. I don't personally use a thermometer but you can. I use my wrist as a temperature guide. It needs to be a little warmer than your baby's bath water.

Make sure you use fresh yeast. Check the expiration date before you start.

For this recipe, pour your very warm water in a bowl. Add 2 TBLSP of yeast. Stir a little. I put my bowl in a warm place and set a timer for 10 minutes.




When the timer goes off...your yeast should look poofy and frothy. If it doesn't, then you need to start over.




Add the sugar and oil. Let it sit for 5 minutes. Add egg, salt and flour. When measuring out your flour, make sure that your flour is flush with the top of the measuring cup. Use a knife or your finger to level it off.

When adding egg to a recipe involving yeast, fill a glass with hot water. Add the egg to the hot water and let it sit for several minutes. This will take the chill off the egg. You don't want to add a cold ingredient to your yeast or it will kill off the yeast. Which ultimately means..it will not rise.




Put your dough on a floured surface or a baking mat. I have a SILPAT. By using a SILPAT, my countertop is not covered in flour, it helps with maintaining the shape of the dough, and it makes kneading easier. I think I paid approximately $20 for mine. It is worth every penny.

Knead the dough for 3-5 minutes until dough is smooth. How do you knead? My grandmother taught me how to knead when I was very young. I remembered the basics but needed a refresher course. You Tube! Here is a great 2 minute video showing you how to knead.



Separate the dough into 12 serving sizes. I try to make sure that my pieces of dough are proportional to one another, so they bake evenly.




Once you have separated them, start shaping them into smooth balls. Roll them like you rolled your play dough when you were young. To get the hamburger shape, use your hands to slightly flatten them. Put them on a greased baking sheet. I use a baking sheet with Parchment paper. (no greasing needed) Put the buns about 3 inches apart.



Cover them with a clean kitchen towel and let them rise for 10 minutes. I sit them in the sunlight, on my kitchen table.

Bake at 425 for 8-12 minutes. Bake your buns until they are a pretty golden brown.

YOU CAN DO IT!!


40 Minute Hamburger Buns
Recipe courtesty of Taste of Home

2 tablespoons active dry yeast
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm water (110° to 115°)
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon salt
3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour (I use a mixture of white whole wheat and all purpose)

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add oil and sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the egg, salt and enough flour to form a soft dough.
Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 3-5 minutes. Do not let rise. Divide into 12 pieces; shape each into a ball. Place 3 inches apart on greased baking sheets. I use parchment paper.
Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Bake at 425° for 8-12 minutes or until golden brown. Makes a dozen.

The buns will stay fresh for several days. Oh YUM.

I ran out of dishwasher detergent today. Thank the Lord.. I had some in my stockpile... Kristi

No comments:

Post a Comment