Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Challenges in the Kitchen

As I sat down at my computer tonight, I had a chance to reflect upon our day.

We cried as a family today. We experienced an event in our lives that will forever change us. Life brings many challenges. God never told us that things would be easy but He did say that He would never leave us or forsake us.

We don't understand why things happen the way they do... We don't understand why people have to hurt and suffer emotionally and physically. The Lord has a purpose for our lives. Despite the challenges and hurt we experience, we need to press forward, believing in Him. Not to give up, keeping our eyes on Him.

Romans 8:18 Just as Paul says, "For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us.

If we have Jesus, we have hope. He knows our struggles and the mountains we face.

Everyday challenges...

How about our busy schedules? How can I accomplish all of this in 24 hours?

(baseball practice, soccer practice, dance recital, doctor visits, running errands, birthday parties on the same day at the same time, getting the kids enrolled for school, getting senior pictures made, band practice, ect...)

What about getting a flat tire on your way to work? (and your already running late)

Getting a summer cold, swimmers ear, or a sinus infection?

HE cares about all your challenges. Nothing is too big or small for HIM.

Get this...

I told my husband dinner would be ready at 5:30 p.m. and dinner wasn't on the table until 7. (he gets real grouchy when he is hungry)

I went to take a batch of cookies out of the oven and they ended up on the floor.

I forgot to grease a baking dish... and spent 30 minutes chiseling baked-on barbecue sauce.

I have been trying for 15 years to make Grandma Betty's Apple Pie. After all these years, it still doesn't taste like Grandma's. (will it ever?) smile.

It gets frustrating. You give it all you got..and it doesn't work out. What's next? Don't give up. Stay in it!!! Stay encouraged!!! We have to be diligent in our efforts! I am thankful that I didn't give up in the kitchen. I am thankful that the Lord is faithful and he will see my family through our trials big or small.

I thought I would share some more "mountains" in the Burnett kitchen...y'all ready?

I have tried 100's of recipes for Ranch Dressing and still haven't found a winner.

I have tried numerous recipes for the best Red Velvet Cake...still searching. Red Velvet cake is my husband's favorite cake and he is very picky about his frosting. I have come close but he hasn't given me the thumbs up yet. Still trying.

I have tried sooooo many recipes for the perfect Soft Sugar Cookie. I want to replicate the soft sugar cookies from the Publix bakery. No keepers yet. I am not a fan of cream of tartar and alot of sugar cookie recipes call for it. Still searching.

I want to replicate the Angel Food Cake/ Pound Cake that Aldi sold during the spring/ summer months. Apparently they have done away with it. My children and I are crushed. We look forward to it every year. sad face.

Homemade Spaghetti Sauce..whew..just thinking about it...will wear me out. I have taken a break from trying to make a spaghetti sauce. I am taking a break but not giving up.

Chewy Granola bars...all I can say is "the search continues."

Stay encouraged...there is hope...listen to this...

I am happy to report that I have finally found THE ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe. It has taken me 10 years to accomplish this goal. My husband is grateful. smile.

Just yesterday, I conquered our Homemade Salsa. Thank you Lord. It has been a long journey.

Last week....I scored it big with my kids. I made some Strawberry Muffins. My oldest son said "Momma, you finally did it." "Your muffins taste like those baby muffins you can buy at the store, ya know the ones that come in a box and inside the box are those individual size packages of muffins...I knew exactly what he was describing. I wanted to pump my fist in the air and give a big "OH YEAH!"

I believe everything has a life lesson. There is no such thing as a coincidence. God is in control. He knew that today was going to be a difficult day for my family. He knows our hearts are heavy and burdened. He knew that my all my "kitchen challenges" would be used to teach me something. To teach me more about Him and his unfailing love.

He cares for you. He loves you. He cares about your heartache, your happiness, your daily struggles, and your kitchen challenges too.

Challenging dishes....Kristi

No comments:

Post a Comment