Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Easy Homemade Doughnuts



This post is for my brother. My brother and I grew up eating doughnuts. We didn't grow up eatin green beans. We grew up eating doughnuts.

We would get up early in the morning on the weekends and our Daddy would take us to the bakery. He would let us pick about 4-6 doughnuts each. Oh yea!!!! This was a big deal. It wasn't uncommon for us to spend 10-15 minutes making up our mind. Sooo many doughnuts to choose from! Bless the women in the bakery. They never fussed at my brother and I. They were always kind, gentle, and extremely patient.

After my brother and I picked out "our" dozen doughnuts, our father would let us grab a jug of chocolate milk. Gotta love it!! You can't eat doughnuts with out chocolate milk.

My brother and I live in 2 different states now, and unfortunately we don't get to see each other very often. Oh, how I miss my brother.

So, when we do get together...guess what? We load up in his truck and hit the doughnut shops. Please notice, I said doughnut shops (plural) Sometimes we will go to 2 or 3 doughnut shops. If we are craving doughnut holes and they are out...we won't stop until we find them.

OH...Don't forget the chocolate milk. smile.

Ryan...this is for you BRO!



Easy Homemade Doughnuts

1 can of biscuits/ not flaky
enough cooking oil to fill skillet about 1 inch
butter and cinnamon/sugar mixture
frosting/ sprinkles

Take biscuits out of their wrapper. Use the lid of a 20 oz. Coke to punch a hole through the biscuit. (use can use any bottle lid)



Save the baby circles for doughnut holes.



Pour about 1 inch oil into skillet. Turn heat about medium-high. You want oil to get hot. If it doesn't, then doughnuts will be soggy and gross. Carefully test oil by putting a baby sprinkle of flour into oil. If it sizzles and pops...it is ready. **BE CAREFUL** not to burn your self. You don't want your grease to splatter.

Once the grease is hot, add a couple of doughnuts to skillet. Watching carefully.



The doughnuts will turn brown quickly. Once you see them turning brown, carefully flip them over with a large serving fork or slotted spoon.



Once you have flipped them, keep your eye on them...they will be finished before you know it.



Carefully remove them from the oil and lay on a paper towel lined plate.



You can soak em' in melted butter and then dip in cinnamon sugar mixture.



You can make homemade frosting and dip em'..then dip in sprinkles.

You can use frosting in a can. Scoop some frosting in a small bowl and microwave just a couple seconds. (idea from Christy at Southern Plate)

If using frosting, make sure it's not too thin or it will not adhere real good to the doughnut. You want a thicker frosting. I mistakenly made my frosting thin and then had to double dip them. (oh bummer..huh?)



Serve with chocolate milk.

**OH..I forgot to tell y'all...my kids love doughnuts too!




Doughnut Dishes for my brother.....Kristi

No comments:

Post a Comment